Wednesday, April 7, 2010

120 Liberty Street

I went on a field trip to the World Trade Center Tribute Center at 120 Liberty Street the other day. We went on a walking tour around ground zero and an audio tour with sixteen personal stories of people who experienced the September 11th attacks in some way.

I honestly don’t understand how people can work there. Being there for a few hours alone was too intense for me.  The people that work there, like John Henderson – who gave us our tour – spend whole days surrounded by reminders of the tragedy. They have a twisted I-beam from one of the towers, a charred piece of an airplane window, and – perhaps most moving – a wall reproducing the many flyers people put up searching for loved ones following 9/11.



John got involved in May of 2009 when he saw a piece on the Tribute Center on NY1. His wife was working six blocks south of the Twin Towers at the time of the attack.

I wonder if, after working there for a long time, that emotional response to the place starts to fade – or maybe it gets even worse. There is a 4.5 hour video that constantly plays featuring the names of all 2,749 people that died that morning. There is also a wall of pictures that is on a constant rotation through the many images of victims.

The pictures, John said, are all the more moving because the people always look so happy – on vacation or in a tux – like most people in pictures. Every smiling face on the wall reminds you of the void that person left in the lives of the people that loved them.

I couldn’t believe that they are still working on identifying victims of 9/11. The last two I.D.’s happened two weeks ago, and only about half the bodies have been identified.

After the tour, we all talked about our experiences on 9/11. It was really interesting to go back to that morning in 8th grade, when I had no idea what the attacks meant or what was going to happen as a result. I realized that I hadn’t thought about that day in a very long time, and it made me respect people like John even more, people who spend their days thinking about what the rest of us may want to forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment